Select your state

Ask The Expert

Ask The Expert Answers: building codes

My city requested that I have tempered glass windows. Is this code for southern California? Or does this meet the safety glass minimal standard?

Local jurisdiction always is the last word for tempered requirements for safety glass.

Tags: MIWD, building codes, tempered glass, annealed glass

Continue reading…

What are the minimum egress sizes for MI EnergyCore windows?

In one or two family dwellings, Section R310.1 of the International Residential Code requires basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency escape and rescue opening.  All emergency escape/rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet, except grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet.

Tags: window egress, emergency, building codes, escape, residential codes

Continue reading…


Recent Posts